[Advaita-l] Re: "Siva pa~ncaayatana pUja "

Krishnan S krishnan.sankara at gmail.com
Tue Apr 25 03:12:36 CDT 2006

Shri Yadu-ji,

As we know, pa~ncaayatana pUja is around pUjanam of of "Adityam,
Ambikam,Vishnum, Gananatham, Maheswaram"

This pa~ncaayatanam is named as Siva pa~ncaayatanam or  Sakthi
pa~ncaayatanam  or Vishnu pa~ncaayatanam or Aditya pa~ncaayatanam  or
Ganesa pa~ncaayatanam  depending upon which 'murthi' occupies the
central location (Ref: Proceedings of 'Vyasa Vidwat Sadas, convened by
Kanchi Sri Mahaswami, at  Narayanapuram, Madurai, Tamilnadu  1963)

In Siva pa~ncaayatanam , Siva is throned at the center, Aditya at
Southeast, Gananatha at the Southwest, Ambika at the Northwest and
Vishnu at the Northeast.

I am not sure of the positionings in other pa~ncaayatana pUjas.

Also may I add that Kanchi Sri Mahaswami mentions that Kanchi Mata
pUja  is around Siva pa~ncaayatanam  (Ref: Page 141, 'Deivatin Kural'
, Part II, Vanathi Publishers, 9th Edition,
July 1999)

Regards

S. Krishnan