[Advaita-l] Self-knowledge

Aditya Varun Chadha adichad at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 07:26:22 CST 2006

Greetings,

On 2/2/06, bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com <bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com> wrote:
> I am not able to get this statement of yours...coz. shruti says *brahmavit
> brahmaiva bhavati*...you mean to say here even after brahma jnAna / after
> *becoming* brahman ...there is room for residue of avidyA??

well so does Sruti say "tat tvam asi" and "ahaM brahmasmi". that Sruti
also says *brahmavit brahmaiva bhavati* does not necessarily mean that
brahmavit is the same as brahmavid variSTha (jIvan mukta).

"being brahman" is always true, while experiencing brahmanhood (for
some time) and being constantly conscious of brahmanhood (jIvan mukta)
can be different things.

by "bhavati" i understand "hota hai" (doesn't really have an
equivalent in English, would be equivalent to "BEs" like in "goes"),
and by asti (or asmi) means "is" (or "am"). is there any significant
difference I might be missing?

--
Aditya Varun Chadha
adichad AT gmail.com