[Advaita-l] Re: Proper worship in Shankara's tradition

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Mon Feb 27 15:54:12 CST 2006

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006, nageshwar subramanyam wrote:

> for devi ,and panchayatana devi is one of the diety in panchayatana for
> all gods there is Avarana Puja .Due to time or laziness people have not
> introduced if you see old people they do .for Shiva 11 AVarana ,Devi
> 9,Surya 12, Vishnu 8,,Ganapati 8.

I did not know of avarana in the context of Panchayatana puja.  Can you
explain more?

Am I right the significance of the numbers are:

Shiva    - 11 Rudras
Devi     - 9  Durgas
Surya    - 12 Adityas
Vishnu   - 8  Vasus
Ganapati - 8 Vinayakas

or is there some other reason?

> so If you have more doubts you can email me again .

Please write to the list so we all may learn.