[Advaita-l] bhasma dharana

Prasad Ramamurthy Kadambi kaupeenavanta at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 00:42:38 CST 2006

Namaste,

On 1/12/06, sthanunathan Ramakrishnan <r_sthanu at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Is there any shruthi pramana for bhasma dharana. My
> wife is a Madhva by conviction and she says that
> wearing bhasma is nishiddha according to Varaha Purana
> and that there is no shruthi basis for it either.
>
> I found some verses on the net from some puranas
> giving the bhasma-dharana-vidhi. But I would like some
> direct Shruthi or Smriti quotes. I would be much
> obliged if some one can provide a detailed answer.

It is said that;

bhasmanA shudhyatE kamsaym taamramAmlena shudhyate !
gomyena shudyate bhOmi nAristhu rajasa thatha !!

The body/mind gets purified by bhasma, copper utils can be purified by
tamarind, with the cow's dung the earth gets purified and women purifies by
the periods she would have.

I'm not aware of any Shruthi or Smriti references.

Regards.

Prasad Kadambi

--
sada shiva samarambham Shankaracharya madhyamam !

asmadacharya paryantham vande guru paramparam !!