[Advaita-l] apauruSheya ?

Amuthan Arunkumar R aparyap at yahoo.co.in
Wed Jan 18 21:17:06 CST 2006

namo nArAyaNAya!

dear shrI rAm garib,

--- Ram Garib <garib_ram_at_yahoo_dot_co_dot_in>
wrote:

> shankara does not in fact treat it as "faith" but as
> "faith which can be verified subsequently through
> the
> fruit of jivanmukti". His position would have been
> untenable if the "moksha" were an unverifaible
> state.
> However, according to shankara, jivanmukti is
> available here and now and hence verifiable.
> Therefore, "apaurusheyatva" is more of a postulate
> which can be confirmed by following the prescribed
> path and hence not a blind faith.

i don't think the apauruSheyatva of the veda-s can be
verified 'after jIvanmukti'. for a jIvanmukta, there
is nothing but brahman. where is the question of
veda-s or their authorship? if at all aparuSheyatva is
to be verified, it can be done only by one who is
still in some dvaitAvasthA, probably a very advanced
yogi. there is no action (and hence no verification)
for a jIvanmukta. to my knowledge, apauruSheyatva of
the vedas is an axiom. at most, some arguments can be
given in favor of it. but proving or verifying it
seems impossible.

vAsudevaH sarvaM,
aparyAptAmR^itaH.