[Advaita-l] Re: Pa~nchapAdikAchArya

Ramakrishnan Balasubramanian rama.balasubramanian at gmail.com
Mon Oct 23 06:28:33 CDT 2006

Some great misconcepions in the current discussion:

1. It is incredibly funny that people are repeating my words that
tradition is not a line of parrots in defense of SSS. As a matter of
fact, it is SSS who faults the current tradition for deviating from
Sankara, to which I said tradition need not adhere to Sankara exactly,
everywhere!!

2. Sankara did refute other schools which taught advaita as the final
truth. But the reason was simple, all these schools admitted a *real*
change of brahman into the world or accepted j~naana karma samuccaya.
It should be clear that for Sankara that these stand in the way of
advaitic soteriology. So there is a *need* to refute these schools,
inspite of the fact that they teach "advaita".

3. Sankara did not belong to any of these sampradaayas and then call
all of them andha or muuDHa, like SSS did, and purported to take
people back to 1200 years before him. He clearly salutes his guru and
paramaguru as sampradaayavits in his upadeshasaahasrii.

Rama