[Advaita-l] Attack on Adi Sankara-by Dvaitins-what has been done to resolve this?

Shrisha Rao shrao at nyx.net
Wed Dec 5 05:04:37 CST 2007

On Tue, 20 Nov 2007, Vidyasankar Sundaresan wrote:

>> I heard from one of my friends that Adi Sankara has> been attacked
>> viciously by the dvaitins. I also read a

> That is true.

While on the subject, let us note that such attacks have also occurred by
others (e.g., the mImAmsaka Parthasarathi Mishra, and various naiyAyika-s,
vishishhTAdvaitins, and others).  Some criticism/abuse has also flowed in
the reverse direction.

My own view, also shared by people I respect, is that it is generally more
fruitful to carefully develop one's understanding based on a careful
study, rather than waste time on who abused whom in what century.

>> Many advaitin friends have contacted the dvaita list> moderator,

Really?  Such as who, for instance?  I have e-mail and postings going back
a decade or more, and find no such contacts (which is not unreasonable,
since as Vidyasankar points out, I am hardly someone who can help in this
matter).

>> someone named Rao, but he didn't have the> decency to respond properly.
>> In fact, he hurled abuses> at people who expressed concern.

I guess such an allegation is mild in comparison with, e.g., Tommy
Hilfiger's reputation and business being damaged by false accusations of
racism, but it is equally absurd in a way.  I have not abused anyone "who
expressed concern," for the simple reason that no one has "expressed
concern" to me, and why should they?

For the record, I don't believe I have spoken ill of Sankara personally at
any time, in public or in private.  Some years ago there was also a bit of
comment to me personally when I opined on the Dvaita list that character
assassination of Sankara is hitting below the belt in a way and ought to
be avoided, and that the historical accuracy of the maNi-maJNjarI is not
entirely without question (quite apart from this matter).

Regards,

Shrisha Rao