[Advaita-l] Re: SSS and Madhva

Annapureddy Siddhartha Reddy annapureddy at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 23:23:06 CST 2007

praNAm.h shrI Abhilash,

> -- In addition to the reasons you have given for
> Ananda tIrtha's claims (i.e.,
> he was either deluded or being deliberately
> malicious), it could be that he
> was indeed vAyu and indeed learnt from vyAsa
> (however fantastic the claim
> may sound.)

You wrote:
I think if our non-sense detector is not buzzing at
such claims we need psychiatric help rather than
vedantic.
The difference between faith and non-sense is often
blurred. For that matter, Anandagiri in his TikA on the
mANDUkya kArika bhAShya of shaN^kara mentions
that gauDapAda won the grace of shrI nArAyaNa at
badarI. Are we supposed to view this as non-sense too?
Please note that the best (mutually acceptable) pramANa
on such issues are statements of the sampradAya.
Hence, I repeat my question:

"Also, on a slightly different note, I wanted to confirm what the position of
the sampradAya (for example, the shrungEri maTha) is wrt episodes like
gauDapAda and shuka. Do they treat it as historical reality or not? (If not,
why is the glorification done? Is the point to emphasize that people like
gauDapAda are comparable to a-historical stalwarts like shuka (while knowing
full well the unreality of the episodes)?) Thanks."

A.Siddhartha.