[Advaita-l] Discussion on karma khanda in Advaita vedanta

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 5 20:12:28 CDT 2007

>Even the sanyasins perform shrouta karmas while they give up smarta karmas.
>                                                              N.Srikanta.

Could you please provide a reference/example for the above statement? I
thought it was fairly obvious to all list members that saMnyAsins in the
advaita tradition formally renounce all karma, whether Srauta or smArta.

e.g. when the sacred thread (yajnopavIta) is worn, the saMkalpa refers to
"Srauta-smArta-vihita-nityakarma-anushThAna". The renunciation of all karma
by saMnyAsins is symbolically represented by throwing away the yajnopavIta
too.

Regards,
Vidyasankar