[Advaita-l] Discussion on karma khanda in Advaita vedanta

bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Thu Sep 6 03:51:39 CDT 2007

e.g. when the sacred thread (yajnopavIta) is worn, the saMkalpa refers to
"Srauta-smArta-vihita-nityakarma-anushThAna". The renunciation of all karma

by saMnyAsins is symbolically represented by throwing away the yajnopavIta
too.

praNAms Sri Vidya prabhuji
Hare Krishna

Yes, saMnyAsins,  in our advaita tradition as well as in other traditions
have taken  sarvakarma saNyAsa dIkShA...But it seems, though they are
sarvakarma tyAga saMnyAsins, they are indulging themselves in some purely
materialistic activities..like inaugurating Andra Style Hotels (which
caters both veg & non-Veg food), beauty parlours, cinema halls, fast food
restaurants  etc. etc. on these occassions, they not only cut the tape,
they allow  owners to do *pAdapooja* in these premises & giving suitable
*Ashirvachana* also at these places..ofcourse, they charge  hefty
*pAdapooja kANike* to grace these functions :-)). I dont know whether there
is a provision in our dharma shAstra,  for *sarvakarma tyAgi saNyAsins* to
engage themselves in these type of loukika activities...

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar