[Advaita-l] vidyA and j�Ana

Raghavendra Hebbalalu hs_raghavendra at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 10 11:49:19 CDT 2007

namassarvebhyaH,

For such a familiar quote, this was not at all easy to
look for. However, the results are here (after
consulting Samskrit-vidvAns and Google).

This quote is found in the viShNu-purANa. The complete
shloka is as follows.

tatkarma yan na bandhāya sā vidyā
yā vimuktaye |
āyāsāyāparaṃ karma
vidyānyā śilpanaipuṇam ||
ViP_1,19.41 ||

You can find the full text of the VP at
http://www.sub.uni-goettingen.de/ebene_1/fiindolo/gretil/1_sanskr/3_purana/visnup_u.htm

Incidentally, VishNu purANa seems to be the favorite
purANa of shrI shankara going by the number of times
he refers to it.

dhanyavAdAH,
-rAghavendraH