[Advaita-l] guNa - doSa

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Fri Feb 15 18:34:14 CST 2008

> However, if we can workout this theory starting from
> basic Sankhya, may be we can see further than what
> current understanding of Ayurveda allows us to see.
> After all the original exponents of Ayurveda: Lord
> Brahma, Lord Indra, etc were masters of Sankhya and
> Yoga to start with.

In the past we have discussed how there has been a long evolution in the
meaning of the words samkhya and yoga.  In the earliest stages they simply
meant "theory" and "practice" two approaches to analysis which were used
in many different fields of knowledge (including Ayurveda as you note.)
The dualistic philosophy known as "Capital-S" Samkhya is but one variety
of "small-s" samkhya.