[Advaita-l] Pratyavaaya paapam

Ramanathan P p_ramanathan at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 27 19:20:21 CDT 2008

Dear Sri K. Ramakrishna,

The strength of this discussion was in the insistence of karma
"prescribed" to the individual. The argument that applies to one
outside of the lineage based varnas does not apply to one born to a
varna. That person is obligated to the nitya karma; by your statements,
though the outsider can aspire for chitta shuddhi and moksha without
becoming part of the varna-dharmas, the insider cannot. How is the
tradition suggesting this obligation? The basis (it seems to me) is
Ishvara's will that some are born in the tradition, one way or another,
and His wish (as per Krishna's statements) that they abide by those
specific svadharmas. Either this argument is accepted or not: I don't
see the point for further arguments on the psychological side.

And if one is to accept the argument, then to add further that due to
this or that difficulty, I will deviate from Ishvara's wish, seems
paramount to disowning the tradition. So we 'all' are doing that and
should try not to do so (completely), or accept a less orthodox
position (as Sri Sadananda does) and follow the remaining general
guidelines of Sri Krishna.

Ramanathan