[Advaita-l] Pratyavaaya paapam

kuntimaddi sadananda kuntimaddisada at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 27 21:58:03 CDT 2008

--- On Mon, 10/27/08, Ramanathan P <p_ramanathan at yahoo.com> wrote:

> The strength of this discussion was in the insistence of
> karma
> "prescribed" to the individual. The argument that
> applies to one
> outside of the lineage based varnas does not apply to one
> born to a
> varna. That person is obligated to the nitya karma; by your
> statements,
> though the outsider can aspire for chitta shuddhi and
> moksha without
> becoming part of the varna-dharmas, the insider cannot. How
> is the
> tradition suggesting this obligation? The basis (it seems
> to me) is
> Ishvara's will that some are born in the tradition, one
> way or another,
> and His wish (as per Krishna's statements) that they
> abide by those
> specific svadharmas. Either this argument is accepted or
> not: I don't
> see the point for further arguments on the psychological
> side.
>

> And if one is to accept the argument, then to add further
> that due to
> this or that difficulty, I will deviate from Ishvara's
> wish, seems
> paramount to disowning the tradition. So we 'all'
> are doing that and
> should try not to do so (completely), or accept a less
> orthodox
> position (as Sri Sadananda does) and follow the remaining
> general
> guidelines of Sri Krishna.

PraNAms to everyone

First my sincere thanks to Shree Vidyashankar for his views that I solicited.

In essence I will subscribe paapam or sin depends on one's mental state - for which we use a general term Adhikaaritvam.

Chitta suddhi comes from Karma yoga and involves yoga of attitude - ultimately
yat karoshi yad aShNaasi .. tat kuruShva madarpaNam - whatever you do offer it to me - is the fundamental principle in karma yoga - irrespective what tradition one comes. By Iswaraarpita buddhi and prasaada buddhi, one surrenders results ultimately the agency of action so that one's mind free from any reactions.

If one understand the essence one adopts it to suite his mental state.

Arguments that it is the divine wish that you are born in a particular varNa etc and therefore you have to follow these guide lines - will end up the arguments of fate and free-will. From my understanding there are obligations to the family, to the society since we live in this world - and also mind is conditioned in once brought up. How not to have conflicts in the mind so that one can steer away from all reactions is the essence of karma yoga.  One has to be a karma yogi to purify the mind so that the mind is available for contemplation. If the mind is already available for contemplation - call it as Iswara ichha, then use the mind for Vedanta vichaara.

Fundamental analysis of Shree Shankara is one needs the four fold qualifications for inquiry of Brahman. That is the essence. If one feels he has to do certain actions to purify himself - then he needs to do it - otherwise he will get agitated and he will incur sin - since his mental frame work is conditioned that way - attribute to Iswara if one wants - but by his own praarabda.

I find our philosophy and Shankara's adhyaasa bhaashya are extremely logical and universally applicable - whether one's mind is conditioned to a particular tradition or not.

Ultimately one has to adopt it to suite his mental state. Guidance from a teacher is the best.

I am happy with the state of mind that the Lord has blessed me with His infinite compassion. I have no conflicts while I devote all my time in His service to the best of my capacity in the way He is directing me.

Others who are following the rituals and their practices, please do so without worrying about any sins or not sins -  as His kaikaryam – that is what is intended and with full heart if one does, not mechanically, then one will have merit of purification of the mind.

Hari Om!
Sadananda