[Advaita-l] Importance of Sampradaya

Shyam shyam_md at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 12 07:41:05 CDT 2009

I am reproducing my post as it was perhaps blocked by the server for being too long. My apologies for re-posting and for its length.
***
Pranams
I fully agree with your Vedanta teacher, and my humble namaskarams to Him or Her.

Who told you that in our sampradaya we do not question the teacher - in fact we are very much encouraged to - nay, we are specifically instructed to question the teacher till our doubts get resolved - this is exactly what shravanam and mananam entails - atmavare shrotavya mantavya... this degree of freedom of questioning I would say is almost unique to our sampradaya - doubt is encouraged provided it is encompassed by a broader matrix of shraddha - in both the teacher and the teaching. Only then can learning take place.

These were 2 posts written by me on the "advaitin" list-forum in response to a discussion on a related topic and I am reproducing it here for what its worth. Some of the points raised are relevant only to what was being discussed at the time, but I have chosen not to edit those sections in the interest of continuity of the post.

Post 1
http://www.adi-shankara.org/2009/06/shastra-is-only-pramana-for-self.html
Post 2
http://www.adi-shankara.org/2009/08/shastra-is-only-pramana-for-self.html

As far as Namasmarana and Kaliyuga is concerned consider that statement to be eulogistic at best - albeit certainly a wonderful means to achieving chittashuddhi and chitta-naischalyam, (like with everything else) when adopted with the right attitude and devotion.

Hari OM
Shri Gurubhyoh namah
Shyam