[Advaita-l] shudra

Anbu sivam2 anbesivam2 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 09:04:17 CDT 2009

As you know when the Hindu kings of yore faught against each other it made
no impact on the varna system.  It was only at the advent of Buddhist and
Jain religions that the system got affected.  These religions opened up the
gnana maarga that reqired the abandonment of karma to all and sundry whereas
Sanathana Dharma had reserved it for the Brahmins only, the reason being
that the society can ill-afford the non-Brahmins varnas to abandon their
karma and dharma..  Buddhism and Jainism are avaidhic religions and so the
varnasrama dharma were not theirs to follow.  Particularly under Buddhism
the need for Brahmins as a community was not required and this alone caused
the clash between the Brahmins and the Buddhists.  When the kings switched
over to Buddhism they could not depend on the ancient dhaarmic
self-restraints on the part of different communities as the kshathriyas got
weaker and varna mingling was unavoidable.  Actually there was near chaos in
the law and order situation and for the first time the kings (not rishis)
were called to enact laws of restrictions on the communities.  The first and
foremost was the forbiddance of intermingling (untouchability) was
introduced.  This is how secular law started!  However many kings started to
revert back to Hinduism as it was more easier to rule under the dhaarmic
system.  There were also wars among the Hindu and Buddhist kings.  The ones
who constituted the kshathriyas under the Buddhist were never absorbed back
into the Hindu kshathriya community and they were enslaved and formed the
fifth varna of outcasts.  In modern days the occupations held by the sudhras
have also vanished mostly to mechanization and they are also joing this
fifth varna who are now probably called the dalits.  This constitute a great
reservoir of inertia and the modern politicians who are mostly the vaisyas
use them to wreak havoc on the already strained varna system by targetting
the weak Brahmins.