[Advaita-l] Query on Ishvara in the Yoga darshana

Dr D Bharadwaj drdbharadwaj at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 20:35:04 CST 2009

A very good post. Yes, Ishvara in that text was
well defined by Patanjali himself, as was his way
with every important term he used.

Qur quote [of the 1-24 sUtra] is quite apt.
The way he had defined was paryAptam for, sufficient and limited for, the
purpose of the avagAhana of the yOgasUtras.

But, two things ,sir, which may not be be important
in the context of the fundamental thrust of your post.
I would like to draw the atten. to them, for what it is worth.

Your Sanskrit quote says: sa pUrveShAmapi
guruH. And when you translated it as
'Ishvara is also said to be the Guru of the ancients'
you had overlooked 'api'. IMO 'api' there is important.......
If left out, the translation would seem to convey,
though not explicitly, that Ishvara is also said to be the Guru of the
ancients, but not anymore.
The author of the quote was talking of the 'continuity'
of the His being Guru, may be to convey that this was not
an subsequently added concept.

Also, sir, Buddhi is not, stricktly speaking, intellect.
The English word as defined by them, is a part
of manas which is different from Buddhi of calssical Indian Texts. Bhddhi is
a well defined concept, described to be a part of the eight fold
manifestation of the prakrti)
There is no equivalent word in English for Buddhi.
If we use the word 'intellect', then we will not be
able to mean what they meant by using Buddhi.

Regards,
Dr. D. Bharadwaj
drdbharadwaj at gmail.com