[Advaita-l] (no subject)

Dr D Bharadwaj drdbharadwaj at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 23:11:45 CST 2009

Dear Sri Sunil Bhattacharjya

I am disappointed to see this 'giving up'
on your part. It is a sad contrast to the
many other scholarly posts from you.

The gentleman's source may be not so worthy,
but the central view expressed is not uncommon among
many  [ including those who are also well read in Sastras] about Buddha's
role and contribution in the evolution of present day indifferent attitude
towards vedic dharma. He did debunk the Vedas. He did set the unfortunate
 precedent of questioning the
Veda as the ultimate pramana. This one singe act had had a snowballing
effect and created possibility for numerous outfits to sprout up with their
own self defined sets of pramanas!!

What we are unfortunately
facing to day is actually, in its true nature,
a crisis of the pramana.

 I saw your disgust for the gentleman's source, Wikipedia.
See we had come to the level of having to take such pramanas
as Wikipedia seriously!! The ball was set rolling for this to happen by the
cleverest of them all.... Buddha, the destroyer of the dharma in the
ultimate guise of an enlightened one !

Sir, my question is how can we approve of any
line that had questioned, debunked and threw
the Veda pramana to the winds?
If we buy into the persuasions of the modern peddlers of the
Buddhism, and accept him, where do we stand? What is our basis? what is the
pramana for us?

Regards,
Dr. D. Bharadwaj
drdbharadwaj at gmail.com