[Advaita-l] Svarita in RV and YV (was Re: SRI SUKTAM - Meaning)

Bhadraiah Mallampalli vaidix at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 6 10:06:05 CST 2009

Dear Andreas

Jaldharji has suggested the fastest possible method for you to learn all that

you want to learn. If you get the brahmajnana all these subjects will reveal

themselves to you without asking for books and literature.

In fact to go one step further, there are upanishats which even say one should

become a brahmana (at least by end of life), so you can very well raise yourself

from your current (whatever) level.

Many foreigners wasted their own time and our time trying to explore these

subjects in adhoc manner, using the ideas to create other subjects. In fact

use of English words like mind, vowel, consonant, tone, tune etc is the first

mental block in understanding Hindu books. Otherwise it is all garbage in

garbage out.  Nevertheless some of the works by foreign scholars is valuable

because they included some explanatory notes by traditional Hindu scholars

who lived in 19th century. Some foreign scholars even claim they have left

Panini behind and made improvements in theory of grammar.

Having said that, some of the Indian experimenters did their part in adding

to confusion, as Shri Vidyasankar quoted instances of vedas being chanted

to tunes of Carnatic music. However well intentioned these efforts are futile.

The first requirement is always study of the six darshanas and mimamsas

as per one's own family tradition and one's own self interest. If you do not

have family tradition you can very wel start one, but stay warned how much

it will be accepted by existing scholars.

This does not mean there were no genuine musicians who made sincere attempts:

I heard Late Shri Kunnakudi Vaidyanathan's rendering of Nagumomu in which he

played vedic accents on violin by intellligently changing the tempo from carnatic

to vedic and back to carnatic. Being a scholar is one thing. Being a poet is

another thing. Scholars can only analyze and dissect. Poets can create.

Admittedly every one is a poet at heart, our attempt should be to bring out

that aspect instead of just being a scholar, and that is the very reason why

we like become the creator by first attempting to reach advaita. Art in any

form needs the heart of an artist. Poetry is also an art. In poetry again it can

be prose (vedic brahmanas) or it may be simple vrttas and slokas like

Bhajagovindam, ragas of carnatic music, or vedic chants and samas

(in the order of increasing complexity). Each type of literary work has

its own place, and all poetry needs the poet's creative heart.

Research on convertibility from one form to another is also a poet's domain.

Interchange between vedic and carnatic is indeed possible but you have to

do a lot of circus, it won't be that simple. We will cross the bridge when we

get to it. Till them let us practice advaita.

(If you are just interested in doing your own thing and want some references

irrespective of tradition to come to your own conclusions, you can try Indology list.)

Regards

Bhadraiah