[Advaita-l] Time

Shrinivas Gadkari sgadkari2001 at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 29 23:14:39 CDT 2009

Namaste,

Let me begin my admitting that my understanding of "time" is far from
satisfactory both from tattva viewpoint and modern-science viewpoint.
But here is the good news: (a) NOBODY understands "time" is a manner
that is satisfactory from modern-science viewpoint.
(b) There certainly have been RSi-s who understood and mastered kAla
tattva. Yet, today, unless we understand "time" from both tattva view point
and modern science viewpoint  AND INTEGRATE these two viewpoints
we cannot claim that we understand "time" in a convincing manner.

1. The relativistic-view of space-time is questionable - it cannot
account for quantum mechanical "collapse of a wave-function" in a
satisfactory manner. I do not mean relativistic view is wrong. It
probably is incomplete. The way Newton's physics was not
wrong, but a special case of relativistic physics.
2. The above point (from what I understand) is the main hurdle in integration
of quantum theory and gravity.
3. From view point of tattvas too I am not sure if we can assume that "time"
is a product of mAyA. See bhAgavatam 3.26 shloka-s 15-18. The
"time limitations" that we experience certainly are a product of
mAyA. But "time" is more than just these limitations. It is the
thread that sequences events. If there is no sequencing from the
absolute viewpoint I fail to understand how the law of karma can
function at the level of vyavahAra.

hari om.

Regards,
Shrinivas

Here - "to be seen simply as past, present, and future" cannot be taken as
an answer because when we ask 'what is time?', it is equivalent to 'what is
it that makes things appear as past, present, future?'
I would like to share a quote of some relevance to this knotty problem:
"What then is time? If no one asks me, I know, if I want to explain it to
someone who asks, I do not know." - St Augustine
While it may be reasonable to shrug the question saying Advaita doesn't care
one way or the other as Jaldhar feels, I think to make a complete theory,
Advaita should have postulated something about it. If it can accept the
elements of the world - earth, water, air, fire, AkAsha (which can be
likened to solid, liquid, gas, energy & Space of modern physics), why not
Time?
Thanks & Pranams, Mahesh