[Advaita-l] Sankhya & Yoga

Sunil Bhattacharjya sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com
Fri May 22 20:04:23 CDT 2009

Dear Shri Bhadraiah,

I cannot agree with the way you are looking at Karma. Yoga is joining or removing the separation or the skill for doing so. That is possible if one knows that the individual state (or call it "Jvahood") is only due to our involvement with Prakriti. Once one knows or sees or realises that then the individual separate existence gets automatically and convincingly denied. But to make this denial of individual self permanently imprinted in the mind one has to do practice so that a pathway is formed in the brain. One can do that through Karma or Bhakti or Jnana and a proper understanding of the concepts will automatically follow, even though initially it may appear to be a mere mechanical effort.

Once we do Niskama Karma we deny our self. Once this habit is formed without exception then the idea of the separate individual state or existence vanishes for ever and this Karmayogi eventually attains Brahman. Similarly an ardent Bhakta denies his individual self and lives in the universal Self day in and day out. So also a true Jnani  denies his individual self permanently. Lord Krishna hinted that for some the knowledge of Sankhya alone is sufficient to realize the ultimate state. Coming to Prana one who meditates on Prana would sooner or later realize that the same Prana is keeping us all alive and then the concept of individual Prana vanishes and one  lives in the universal Prana and thus the individual existence would lose meaning for one.

Regards,

Sunil K. Bhattacharjya