[Advaita-l] Fw: Re: waking, dreaming, sleeping, as mutually supportive

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 20 16:10:08 CDT 2009

> Quote: "This has nothing to do with modern secular ideas of equality, but it
> has everything to do with developing the qualities needed for a mumukshu.
> Please read the prose chapters of upadeSasAhasrI to get Sankara
> bhagavatpAda's own words on the subject."
>

> This is truly arbitrary and out of hand rejection of a view of guna-karma
> vibhagam that is held fundamental to the Hindu view. I hope you have had
> time to read my fully delineated rendition in my musings posted in this
> forum on this subject of Guna in relation to the secular views.

I am not taking any stance with respect to guNa-karma-vibhAga here at all.

I am also not talking of svadharma and paradharma here.

Ultimately, mumukshutva and knowing/being brahman are beyond all dharma-s.

However, being born a brAhmaNa does not guarantee that mumukshutva arises

in the mind. There is also no guarantee that knowing Atman is nearest to the

brAhmaNa and progressively farther away for other varNa-s.

In my personal experience with people, the mental block provided by pride in

high birth is often a huge one. That is all. Please do remember that the saMnyAsin

is required to shed not only personal property and home, but also the varNa and

gotra given by birth.

Vidyasankar