[Advaita-l] Sankara on sannyAsa for Steadiness in GYAna (was Re: Jivanmukti - Jnana plus Sannyasa pt 5)

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Thu Oct 22 04:03:59 CDT 2009

praNAms Sri Karthik prabhuji
Hare Krishna

First of all,  thanks for wasting your precious time & energy continuously
on this poor bigoted student mails :-))  Now to your observation :

I do not see any personal attack here, just a statement of fact.

>  hmmm....another justificatory statement on a 'verdict' already passed
:-))

Sankara says: "BrahmasaMstha is to be completely absorbed in Brahman, with
no other occupation but to be established in THAT. THIS IS NOT POSSIBLE
FOR THOSE IN THE FIRST THREE ASHRAMAS."

>  You should keep this in mind that in this adhikaraNa 'saNyAsa' as an
ashrama has been eulogized since pUrvapaxi arguing here saNyAsa is not an
injunction but a mere reference.  It is not an adhikaraNa that is meant to
speak about different Ashrama-s & their respective phala-s.  And again, it
does not mean as soon as one enters saNyAsAshrama he becomes a
brahmasaMstha...Hope you would agree with me that saNyAsi here does not
mean that people with orange clothes, tonsured heads etc.  brahmasaMstha
is a mental state or a realized one & he could be a 'saNyAsi' in any of
the Ashrama..And krishna calls this type of 'saNyAsi-s as 'nitya saNyAsi'
in geeta.It is because of this reason only, to differentite karmi-s of
other Ashrama-s shankara talks about pratyavAya sin.  If you literally
interpret this sentence without considering the context then you will end
in calling krishna is NOT a brahmasaMstha, vidhura, bheeshma,
dharmavyAdha, janaka, ashwapati were not brahmasaMstha-s.  Hope you would
not bring this type of 'anishta' to shankara bhAshya vAkya, when shankara
himself confirms the brahmajnAni-s in atyAshrami-s & seeing the jnAni-s in
raikva, vAchaknavi, gArgi, saMvarta, janaka etc.

You maintain: "BrahmasaMstha IS POSSIBLE in the first three ashramas."

>  it is because shankara himself talks about the possibility of jnAni-s
or brahma jnAni-s in other Ashram-s & atyAshrama elsewhere in the sUtra
bhAshya itself (for example vidhurAdhikaraNa)...It is a matter of regret
that by holding just a single sentence from sUtra bhAshya, sofar you are
turning your blind eye & showing me a blank slate on other more vivid
references wherein shankara categorically addresses the jnAni-s in
lOkavyavahAra & their {seeming} duties.

Your position is diametrically opposed to Sankara's.

>  I am sorry to say, the above statement is a product, which is
manufactured in your own mental factory for which I donot have any
'quality control' :-))  Either you have to admit that shankara
contradicting himself by accepting the possibility of jnAna to shudra-s
like vidhura & dharma vyAdha after saying ONLY saNyAsi-s are brahmasaMsthA
OR you yourself narrowing down the shankara's bhAshya vaishAlyata by
quoting one or two sporadic quotes from bhAshya..choice is yours prabhuji.

At worst, you are willing to directly contradict Sankara whenever his
commentary does not suit your taste.

>  there is no need for me to do so you know, as I have been repeatedly
telling here that I am not at all trying to belittle the efficacy of
saNyAsa Ashrama. OTOH, by not giving the due importance to the words of
shankara where he talks about 'artha siddha pArivrAjya, ' karma tyAga
asaMbhavata of the jnAni' etc. you are trying to meddle the whole issue of
saNyAsa and jnAna.

At best (if can be called "best"), Sankara is stressing on the need for
sannyAsa to attain BrahmasaMstha, whereas you are downplaying it.

>  as said above, that is your perception, I cannot help it...saNyAsa is
not a 'green pass' to attain brahmasaMstha, even one is in saNyAsa Ashrama
without jnAna he is not brahma saMstha, one who can be there in
gruhasthAshrama even after the dawn of jnAna, he is brahma saMstha though
he seemingly doing all actions (mudaiva cheshta mAtra explains shankara in
geeta)..So, linking brahmasaMstha exclusively to saNyAsAshrama without
knowing the very meaning of paramArtha saNyAsa is a farfetched &
deliberate misinterpretation of shankara bhAshya vAkya.  Kindly see
shankara's geeta bhAshya 3-4, wherein he says saNyAsa which is devoid of
knowledge is of no use..nApi saNyasanAt eva kevalAt karmaparityAgamAtrAt
eva 'jnAnarahitAt' siddhiM naishkarmya lakshaNAm jnAnayOgena nishThAm
samadhigacchati na prApnOti.  So, please note it is not an offer like : '
take saNyAsa and be brahmasaMstha'...brahmasaMstha is an open offer for
those who do mAnasika saNyAsa with jnAna (i.e. paripUrNa ahaMkAra tyAga)
irrespective of their external appearance & existence in 'any Ashrama'.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar