[Advaita-l] Fw: Re: waking, dreaming, sleeping, as mutually supportive

Sunil Bhattacharjya sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 25 19:21:02 CDT 2009

Dear friends,

It is well known that the The Upanayana or Maunji is a Sankshkara, which entitles the three higher varnas to their scriptural studies. There may be some rare exceptions like the case of Satyakama but let us kep it aside for now. The Vedas have to be taught to the initiated students only after a lot of background preparations like the teachings of the Vedangas before a student can really be allowed to learn the Vedas, so that they would recite the mantras properly and would also derive the right meaning. The Mahabharata even exhorts one to read the puranas and the epics before studying the Vedas.That is why Manu had prescribed severe deterrent punishment if any Shudra wants to learn the veda steaithily.

However the Shukla Yajur Veda tells us that the Shudras can be told the sacred Mantras and Sri Sureshvaracharya, one of the greatest authorities on Yajur Veda very well knew that. In view of this there does not appear to be any restrictions on the intiation of the Shudras to Sannyasha. Thus the Shudra initiate to Sannyasha can be given the knowledge of the Veda and the Vedanta by the guru, whoever he is. That may also be the reason why the Shringeri Math, which was looked
after by Sri Sureashwaracharya,  was specifically meant for the Yajur
Veda. I am not surprised if a past mathadhipati of the Sringeri Math initiated  non-dvija to Sannyasha.

In view of the Dwarka Math and the Kanchi Kamakoti Math claiming association with Sri Sureshvaracharya  it appears to me that he could have helped the Mathaadhipati of the Dwarka Math and also took the young initiate in the Kanchi Kamakoti Math under his wings. Our divine parents only know what is the truth.

Regards,

Sunil K. Bhattacharjya