[Advaita-l] spiritual daily routines of the members

Siva Senani Nori sivasenani at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 2 23:28:31 CST 2010

Dear Sri Bhaskar

In Mahabharata (Gita Press ed, 5-35-56 and 57, though missing in the BORI
critical ed whose 5-35-48 is the same as Gita Press 5-35-55), we have two slokas
(Vidura speaking to DhritaraashTra):

ijya adhyayana daanaani tapah satyam kshamaa ghriNaa |
alobha iti maargo'yam dharmasya ashTavidhah smritah || 56 ||

tatra poorvacaturvargo  dambhaarthamapi sevyate |
uttaraSca  caturvargo  naamahaatmasu tishThati || 57 ||

(A rough translation: "Yajña (sacrifice), Adhyayana (self-study), daana, tapah
(austerities), satyam, kshamaa, ghriNaa (dayaa), and alobha (absence of greed)"
is said to be the eight-fold path of Dharma. Therein, the group of prior-four
(i.e. sacrifice, self-study, daana and tapah) is also performed to show off; the
latter-four do not reside in those who are not mahaatmas - na-a-mahaatmasu).

Actually we had read this in HitopadeSa, but I looked up the Mahabharata so that
a better reference might be given.

The point is that the first four might also be for the sake of 'damba', speaking
about them (as in I do this and this daily) would almost certainly amount to
damba. Such being the case, your question might not elicit replies from the
pious and learned who might be afraid that a reply would be indulging in damba.
I know you did not intend it to be so, but I merely point out an auxilliary
consequence of the question and wish to submit that such questions ought not to
be posed - in public or private. For, it would be damba for those who follow
vihita-karmas to reply, and shameful for those who do not follow, to reply (in
effect, it becomes damba on the part of the questioner).

Lest it be misunderstood that I am a great saadhaka and do not deign to reply,
my own routine is a study in violation of things that ought to be
done. Sandhyaavandanam is about the only routine that I can claim that I am
reasonably regular about. However, I hope to become more compliant by and by.

I used to have a strong desire to know what was written in all the
Saastra-granthas earlier about Brahman, aatman and so on; but nowadays, I see
that I have settled on an intermediate goal - to get buddhi to rule over the
manas, or the head to rule over the heart. I find that at the level of this
goal, almost all the religions of India say the same thing; and that this seems
to be the common factor amongst all great achievers - statesmen, politicians,
sportspersons, business leaders, musicians, scholars, artists, professionals and
so on. Even crooks actually - I find that this is true of the most corrupt
politician, the most immoral businessman, the worst scamster, rent-seekers like
Niira Radia and so on. The only thing missing with these crooks is the moral
compass. This quality of buddhi-controlling-manas is otherwise known as
discipline, which results in the famed 10,000 hours of practice that makes the
practitioners leaders in their professions.

What is convenient about this is that this kind of saadhana (observing and
theorising, not the 10,000 hours of practice) works best when the body is
horizontal, as P.G. Wodehouse once put it. Also conveniently, the saadhaka can
claim self-control, indriya-nigraha, and many would never know for a long time
:-). After all, satva and tamas both result in inaction :-).

For the record, and as my outbursts in the last few years show, I am no way near
that. And of course, where satva is laghu and prakaaSakam, tamas is guru (heavy
- I could tick that box) and varaNakam (covers things).

Regards
N. Siva Senani