[Advaita-l] Temples across India

S Jayanarayanan sjayana at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 6 13:56:35 CST 2010

--- On Thu, 2/4/10, Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar at braincells.com> wrote:

> From: Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar at braincells.com>
> Subject: Re: [Advaita-l] Temples across India
> To: "A discussion group for Advaita Vedanta" <advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org>
> Date: Thursday, February 4, 2010, 6:09 PM
> On Thu, 4 Feb 2010, S Jayanarayanan
> wrote:
>
> > Is the information below concerning priests in the
> various temples of India factually/historically accurate
> (especially the second paragraph), or is it fanciful
> imagination? The claim is that Sankara ordered Northerners
> to be priests at certain South-Indian temples, and
> vice-versa. I've never heard that the Pujaris in the famous
> Rameswaram temple were North-Indian!
> >

> I don't think it is true historically and it certainly
> doesn't seem to be true today.

At least one factoid is correct: the chief priest at the Badrinath temple is a Namboothiri Brahmin from Kerala, as per the following sources. It is too much of a coincidence that someone from Kerala is taking care of the holiest shrine dedicated to Vishnu in far North India - this must have almost certainly been instituted by Sankara.

http://pilgrimage-tours.tourtravelworld.com/hindu-pilgrimage/temples/badrinath-temple.htm

http://www.hinduismtoday.com/modules/xpress/hindu-press-international/2002/02/03/ousted-badrinath-priest-takes-on-bjp/

http://www.chardhamyatra.org/faqs/why-only-keralite-priest-made-head-priest-in-badrinath-temple.php