[Advaita-l] Temples across India

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Wed Mar 3 00:48:44 CST 2010

On Fri, 5 Feb 2010, Ramesh Krishnamurthy wrote:

> On 5 February 2010 05:39, Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar at braincells.com> wrote:
>>
>> Chowbey (or more usually Chaube) is a prakritization of Chaturvedi and they
>> are from Mathura and surrounding parts of UP not Orissa.  They are typically
>> followers of Vallabhacharya
>
> Chaube/Chaubey is a prakritization of Chaturvedi alright but they are
> not necessarily from Mathura. Chaubey is a common surname all across
> the Gangetic plain including eastern UP and Bihar and most of them
> have nothing to do with Vallabhacharya.

You are right.  It is the Mathura Chaubes who are the most "famous" in my
neck of the woods though.

This site has some more information on them:

http://prasunc.blogspot.com/2009/08/history-of-mathuras-mathur-chaturvedi.html

To get back on topic, the article mentions in passing that it was
Shankaracharya who divided the Brahmanas into pancha dravida and pancha
gauda which is almost certainly not true.  But it just goes to show that
Shankaracharya being the defender of tradition par excellence has become
associated in the popular imagination with all sorts of traditions.