[Advaita-l] A help required regarding some Sanskrit words

Naresh Cuntoor nareshpc at gmail.com
Wed May 5 17:10:09 CDT 2010

> there seems to be a problem:  In the very popular Sri Venkateshwara
> SuprabhAtam there is a mangala shloka:
>
> नित्याय निरवद्याय सत्यानन्दचिदात्मने ।
>  सर्वान्तरात्मने श्रीमद्वेङ्कटेशाय मङ्गलम् ॥

As I mentioned, the list was not intended to be exhaustive. So yes,
niH is also used in the sense of abhAva, which would make it
equivalent to anavadya. Interpretation depends on context, as always.
But is best to resort to interpretation only if a straightforward
analysis creates conflicts. In the example you quoted, if a bhakta is
very disturbed by the possibility of any doSha in divinity, take the
abhAva sense. As far as Venkateshwara is concerned, one could argue
his money management skills or lack thereof is a doSha! (I recall a
legend that he is constant debt to Kubera because of expenses incurred
during his marriage to Padmavati).

> Long ago I was told that निष्ठा is नितरां स्थितिः .

Sounds right to me. ni + ShThA dhaatu.

> What would you suggest the meaning of निरुक्तम् to be?

पृथक्करणे
Words (or word components) are separated out and explained.
Or निश्चयेन उक्तम् = निरुक्तम्

I don't think it means अनुक्त as you suggested. I consulted two
dictionaries as well - neither of them give the meaning as unsaid.
Rather the usual 'well said', declared, etc.

Naresh