[Advaita-l] A help required regarding some Sanskrit words

Ajit Krishnan ajit.krishnan at gmail.com
Mon May 10 10:39:40 CDT 2010

namaste,

> It looks like I may be over-interpreting the word as used in the gItAbhAshya.

Looking at the tika again --

(a) paramam phalam, yat nishcitam shreyaH, niHshreyasam, kaivalyam.
(b) niHshreyasam ca dvividham -- (i) niratishaya-sukhAvirbhAvaH, (ii)
niHsheSha-anarthocChittiH -- ca. tatra Adyam udAharati param iti.

Though the vigraha-vAkyam, as Naresh stated, is simply "nishcitam
shreyaH", Anandagiri does not stop here. He goes further and infuses
it with additional meaning. As a result, I don't think that you are
over-interpreting the word.

bhavadiiyaH,

         ajit