[Advaita-l] Did Sankara have non-brahmin disciples?

chetan nagaraja write2chetan at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 23:08:37 CDT 2010

Dear All,
      I feel that in one way Sri Venkatesh is right, because Brahmana is not
by birth but by virtue. " Brahmam Jananti iti Brahmanaha - One ho knows
Brahman is a Brahmana" . In this way the Chandala can also be a Brahmana.
Therefore, I feel the very question "Whether Shankara had Non Brahmin
disciples is irrelevant" - As in this case every disciple would be in the
search of becoming a Brahmana.

regards
Chetan

Chetan