[Advaita-l] The Jnani's feeling of physical pain

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 25 09:52:34 CDT 2010

Dear Bhaskar,

I must say I was a bit surprised by your latest response as I had almost forgotten what it was all
about. I had to go back to the list archives and search through previous posts in this thread to
re-orient myself with respect to this.

I took your statements about words and meanings as referring indirectly to the following post of mine.

http://lists.advaita-vedanta.org/archives/advaita-l/2010-September/025531.html

As far as I can see, there is nothing else from any other member on our list from that time period to
which your comment could have conceivably applied. As I have said earlier, I am not one for great
displays of emotion, but I would really like to know how (according to you) the mouth of any jnAnI
can even open and utter a single word, when there is atyanta abhAva of pramANa vyavahAra.

On another note, if you must know, I don't follow any mailing list except this one with any regularity.
I assume that you are referring to Sri V. Subrahmanian and the Advaitin list on Yahoo groups when
you talk of another member and your discussion with him on that list. Once in a while, I do check
its archives on some discussion of interest, but I don't read them so regularly as to know the who,
what, why and when of its functioning. Because you have mentioned it indirectly, I read the archives
of the Advaitin list also over the last weekend and saw the animated discussion going on there. All I
can say is, good luck with it all. The vAg-vaikharI that is being displayed there fully by some posters
is admirable, but at the end, it is all still vAg-vaikharI, nothing else. That discussion can stay in that
list, unless you and others involved want to cross-post here and bring it here with you.

I am in full agreement with Sri Praveen Bhat's recent response to you on THIS list, as far as the body,
mind and speech of a jnAnI is concerned and whether it is superimposed by onlooking ajnAnIs or not.
I don't have to add anything further, because what you label the 'so-called' orthodox sampradAya on
the other list has the correct logical stance on the question of how a jnAnI continues to live and breathe
and takes part in vyavahAra according to well established pramANa-s, even if he or she has personally
gone past pramANa-s. I don't have the mental or intellectual skills to reject this stance nor the verbal
and poetic skills of expression that some others seem to have.

Best regards,
Vidyasankar