[Advaita-l] pUrvajas' karma / pApa & our burden (satyanArAyaNa pUjA)

Ramakrishnan Balasubramanian rama.balasubramanian at gmail.com
Tue Sep 14 19:18:48 CDT 2010

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 11:36 AM, Dr. Yadu Moharir <ymoharir at yahoo.com>wrote:

> Dear List:
>
> P.V. Kane in History of Dharmashaastrastyan comments that satyanaaraayana
> vrata kathA is found in Calcutta Edition of skanda puraaNa but is not in the
> Bombay edition., aanadaasharma.  Satyanaaraana is a common surname in Bihar
> and nearby region.
>
> In Maharashttra, Psehava were well known for keeping accounts of every
> penny spent for all rituals.  There is no historical evidence that
> satyanaaraayaNa puujaa was practiced during that period in Maharashtra.  He
> further concludes that the is ritual seems to have migrated from East to the
> South via Maharashtra.
>
> I would appreciate if someone can provide any specific evidence of this
> ritual-practice in Southern India.

I am from Tamil Nadu and had never heard of Satyanarayana Puja till I came
to the US. Admittedly, my knowledge was restricted to to Tamil Smaartas -
may be even restrcited to certain geographical locations of Tamil Nadu.
After coming here I have noticed that a number of Tamil families among the
diaspora have also adopted this. It seems to be a "family" thing
mainly among Telugu smaartas.

Rama