[Advaita-l] Thanks for all the very experienced comments on self realisation

Suresh Marur suresh.marur at gmail.com
Mon Sep 20 23:57:33 CDT 2010

Vijaya ji,

To the question on whether reacting to a subordinate's rudeness is egoistic,
I dont think it is based on the reaction per se. It is perfectly possible to
show anger to the rude behaviour (which is not reaction in the first place)
than to "be" angry. We do that with our children. When they do something
wrong, we can always chide them without boiling inside. It is when we ask,
"how can he behave like this to me?" we are reacting. If we come from the
viewpoint, "the behaviour is rude and is detrimental to the office
environment and also bad for the employee's growth" then it is an action.
The external behaviour may appear the same. It is the attitide in the mind
that tells if it is an action or a reaction.

Swami Dayanandaji's small book called "Action and Reaction" explains this
very beautifully and I have found it quite beneficial to critique my own
self and know when I am reacting and when I am acting.

Another example is from Shri Ramakrishna. If I were an enlightened snake, it
is not that I will allow someone to just kill me because to bite is himsa. I
have every right to hiss and bite (in that order) and protect myself
according to my dharma. So, at work and even at home, as part of sadhana, we
do not have to accept improper behaviour and allow people to get away with
it. We can resist as long as it does not arise from our egos but from the
view point of maintaining propriety at work and facilitating our own and
others' spiritual growth. Then office work also becomes upasana.

Of course, my search for an enlightened grihastha and/or office worker
continues....

- Suresh