[Advaita-l] A reference to 'jIvAshritA avidyA'

Anand Hudli anandhudli at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 9 20:36:55 CST 2011

Shri Ravisankar wrote:

>You have used the phrase "really not existent" - I think twice so far in
>this thread. To me, that sounds like a translation of "asat" and not
>"mithya.". Can you please clarify?

What I meant is that an anirvachanIya (mithyA) vastu, for excmple an
illusory snake on a rope, appears to exist during illusion but upon
sublation, one has the experience "there never was a snake." The
experience post-illusion tells us it
never existed. However, it is experienced as existing during the
illusion. This is the difference between an asat vastu, example hare's
horns, and an anirvachanIya vastu. Even the avidyA associated with
Brahman is experienced by all
in sleep and its effects are felt in the other two states. However,
upon Brahman realization, avidyA along with its effects vanish. This
is the idea.

Anand