[Advaita-l] Adhyaropa-Apavada Nyaya.

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 9 12:24:11 CST 2011

> If Adhyaropa - Apavada Nyaya works why you do not get Moksha in sleep?
> In Sushupti sleep there is Apavada of Adhyaropa which is Dvaita
> Prapancha. There is no duality in sleep. Neha Nanasti Kinchana. It
> is not Moksha. You wake up and suffer in the Dvaita Prapancha. This
> happens every day. Why?

I think there is a false connection being made here, in saying that there is
apavAda of adhyAropa in deep sleep.

What happens in deep sleep is that you do not actively do adhyAropa in the
first place and you wake up with only the memory that you slept deeply. It
is not as if you consciously enter the state of deep sleep after consciously
negating the adhyAropa that you were doing all along before going to sleep
for the day/night.

All the analysis of deep sleep can only be done within the waking state. All
the learning of SAstra and interpretation according to any nyAya are also
only done in the waking state. "I am man/woman/tall/short/..." etc is the
adhyAropa upon the Atman that everyone always does throughout life. "I
am not any of these, but the ever free, always present AtmA" - this is the
apavAda taught by Sruti. adhyAropa-apavAda nyAya is part of the analysis
of Self inquiry that you do in the waking state, during your learning stages
and it has very little to do directly with the fact that you can enter into deep
sleep and emerge from it.

Regards,
Vidyasankar