[Advaita-l] Regarding 'Vishwa".

Srikanta Narayanaswami srikanta.narayanaswami at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 22 04:39:55 CST 2011

Dear Venkatram
Your interpretation of the word according to Yaska,Shakapuni and Durgacharya may
be right,but they are not the only interpretation."Vishwa"is a compound
word.Shwa means to breath.Shwasa is an example.I am basing my meanings in the
texts.One word may have different interpretations,and no one can say they are
the correct interpretations.In 'Vi"we have the word "Vihangama" which is
connected with a "bird's sight".Iam basing the meaning on one way of looking at
the word,"Vishwa".
Moreover,it is not correct to say the ritual,"Vaishwadevam"is connected to
"Vaishwadevas".Who are these "Vaishwadevas".?They must be on earth representing
the rituals.Just like the "Dharmadevatas"as Indra,Agni,Varuna,Yama they must
also be represented by earthly elements.Otherwise this ritual has no meaning.

Any how,since you want to refrain from discussing this further,I shall end my
posting on this topic.
Regards,
N.Srikanta.