[Advaita-l] Taittiriya Brahmana question

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Sat Jul 2 00:53:28 CDT 2011

On Mon, 27 Jun 2011, D.V.N.Sarma డి.వి.ఎన్.శర్మ wrote:

> THis is not a list devoted to Sanskrit language. The list is for adwaita.
> There are a number of people who do not know sanskrit. Remember
> we have quite a few foreigners also. Quotations in sanskrit are in order
> provided their meaning in english is  also supplied. But posts completely
> in sanskrit , I do not think, are in consonance with the aims of the list.

Personally, I like the sanskrit posts.  The girvana bhasha is the
foundation of the culture that Advaita Vedanta is embedded in and
knowledge of sanskrit is vital if one wants to study it in depth.  And
don't worry about the foreigners.  You would be pleasantly surprised as to
how much effort some of them have put into learning Sanskrit.  If there is
anyone of any color who wants to learn but has problems understanding, the
answer is to teach them not to bring things down to the lowest common
denominator.

Having said all that, there are problems albeit of a technical nature.
Not everyone is set up to display devanagari text properly.  And it would
be a technical support nightmare to get everyone set up.  So I suggest
using a transliteration scheme like ITRANS instead of devanagari.