[Advaita-l] ShAnkarapAdabhUShaNam - Sanskrit

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 21:53:52 CDT 2011

Namaste

In the book Page 3 the author has written-

शिवस्य तु स्वप्नेऽपि पूजनं कदाऽपि न कुर्वन्ति । प्रत्युत शिवद्वेष एव
प्रधान्येनोपलभ्यन्ते । अत एव तेषां गृहे शिवलिङ्गादिकं नोपलभ्यन्ते
क्वचिदपि ।

He is saying Madhvamatanuyayinaha don't do Puja of Siva and hate him.
They don't keep Sivalinga at all.

This is false. I have witnessed Madhvas also do Puja for Siva. In one
Madhva Pandita's house he has kept two or three Siva lingas and
regularly does Puja with Rudra and Chamaka. In Mantralaya they have
kept a Sivalinga and Puja is done for it.  I know one person he fasts
on Sivaratri day even when others in his house are having a feast.

The author is wrong because he is accusing Madhvamatanuyayinaha falsely.

तेषां स्त्रियो बालाश्चापि शिवशब्दमपि मुखेन नोच्चारयन्ति । कुतः पुनः
शिवपरगीतगानम् । किंतु विष्णुपराण्येव गीतानि गायन्ति । किंच
कयाचित्स्त्रिया शिवपरपद्यं गीयते चेत् किमेतदिति स्त्रियोऽपि वदन्ति ।

He is saying the Madhva women will not sing Siva songs. This is wrong.
I have heard many Madhvamata ladies singing Siva and Ganesha songs and
other ladies were enjoying it. They did not question it.

On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 6:11 AM, V Subrahmanian
<v.subrahmanian at gmail.com> wrote:
> A book with the above title was published by Anandashram, PuNe, in 1932.  It
> is authored by Vidwan Raghunatha Suri.  It is apparently a critic of the
> Madhva school.  The book has a foreword by Vidwan Digambara Sastry who was
> born in a Madhva household and later 'converted' to smArta tradition after
> having studied and convinced himself of the shAnkaran vedanta.  Here is a
> link to the foreword, about 8 pages, downloadable too in pdf:
>
> http://www.archive.org/details/Shankarapadabhushanam-prastavanaOfDigambarashastri
>
> Here is the link to the Vol. I of the book from DLI:
>
> http://202.41.82.144/cgi-bin/DBscripts/allmetainfo.cgi?barcode=4990010223393
>
> I understand the whole  book, in a single volume, was also printed.
>
> Regards,
> subrahmanian.v

-Venkatesh