[Advaita-l] ShAnkarapAdabhUShaNam - Sanskrit

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 01:04:21 CDT 2011

Namaste.

The author's observations on Shiva worship, etc. by Madhvas is to be seen as
possibly representing a view prevalent well over a hundred years ago. They
may not be, and I would myself say are not, valid in the present day.  I am
myself witness to the Shiva worship/devotion among Madhvas of the present
day.  For instance just a few months ago when I was visiting the Purnaprajna
vidyapeetha in Bangalore for the Advaitasiddhi-NyayamRta meet, a new shrine
was dedicated to Rudra deva with a grand ceremony.  Sri Vishweshatirtha
Swamiji of the Pejawar Mutt conducted the consecration.  The next day when I
visited the shrine when the crowd was gone, I was thrilled by the exquisite
decoration of the Shiva linga and the fine ambience. In fact the Lord
Manjunatha at Dharmasthala is said to have been installed by Sri Vadiraja
Tirtha.  In a recent Madhva journal in Kannada 'mukhyaprANa' I saw a cover
page article titled 'hari-hara-bheda salladu' [ Differentiating Hari and
Hara is untenable]. Names like Shankaranarayana, Shiva Rao, Manjunatha are
to be found among Madhvas, though not as common as Vaishnavaite names.  I
live in an area with a considerable Madhva concentration.  Every Monday I
see Madhva vidyarthis from the Uttaradhimutt walking to the Gavi
Gangadhareswara Temple in Gavipuram for darshan.  For Madhvas Shiva is
'manaHkAraka' whose blessings are sought for devotion to Hari.  Rudra is
regarded as the greatest Hari bhakta.

Sri Purandaradasa (and perhaps other Haridasa composers) has composed a
number of soul-stirring songs on Shiva.

The author appears to have lived in Pune for a large part of his life and
one does not know what the situation was at that period there among Madhvas
residing there.

In any case even I did not relish much of what he has said about the Shiva
aspects in that foreword.  He has left unsaid much of the Dvaita-Advaita
siddhAnta aspects, since they are covered in the main body of the book, as
he has himself remarked.  My intention was only to draw attention to his
appreciation of Advaita and his own account of his 'conversion'. He has also
cited another case of a Madhva scholar of Kashi who held similar
appreciation to Advaita.

Regards,
subrahmanian.v