[Advaita-l] Anantaa vai vedaah

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Thu Sep 8 02:40:08 CDT 2011

On Wed, 31 Aug 2011, Jaldhar H. Vyas wrote:

> You do not know in which manner the Rshis saw mantras.  You are assuming it
> is by yogic means but that is by no means settled.  It could have been
> because of their practice of yajna as mentioned in the purusha sukta. There
> is a theory that soma was a hallucinogen which could have put the Rshis into
> a suprasensory state.

In the course of reading the bhAShya on brahmasUtra 1.3.29 I noticed that
the AchArya has quoted a R^ik one of the rare instances where he refers to
the saMhita portion of shrUti.

yaGYena vAchaH padavIyamAyantAmanvindannR^iShiShu praviShTAm

"With sacrifice they[1] followed the footsteps of vAk[2], and found her
dwelling within the R^iShis." (R.V. 10.71.3)

[1] the hotR^is or officiating priests in a shrauta yaGYA.

[2] Speech personified.