[Advaita-l] Vegetarianism

Sunil Bhattacharjya sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 17 13:48:40 CDT 2012

Dear friends,

Brahmins did not eat meat. They did not also go for hunting to kill animals nor they went to fight in a battle where man are killed (barring the exceptions of the likes of Parshuram and Dronacharya). No killing was required for the brhamnas. However did anybody claim that the fifth veda does not mention the partaking of meat by the rishis (after severe tapas) for recuperation of health, even when offered by a king? Killing may be bad but hating the meat is also not proper. If ofefred one should not refuse meat as the animal's soul would not like it. It will like that the offered meat is taken and the animal is blessed to have a higher life-form. That, of course, does not mean that one can take mother's meat, I mean Gomata's.

As regards fish did Agni not curse fish that man will not allow them to escape?So should we equate fish-eating with meat-eating.  Further the Sarswats believe that their ancestors survived on fish during a famine and that is how the Vedic knowledge did not get lost. So fish is not considered as a luxury food obtained by harming a living being and one may not feel guilty as much as one  feels guilty when an animal like goat is killed.

Regards,

Sunil KB