[Advaita-l] Imagined Nature of Root Ignorance in Vivaranam

Anand Hudli anandhudli at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 17 06:16:11 CDT 2012

Bhaskar YR wrote:

>this is what really is the bone of contention to the topic :
>whether avidyA exists in sushupti or not.  To answer to this question, we have
>discuss in detail shankara's two apparently contraditory statements, at
>one place ( bruhadAraNyaka) he says there is avidyA abhAva is sushupti,
>yathA jAgratsvapnayOH tasya AtmaivaH anyatvapratyupasthApaka hetOH avidyAH
>abhAvAt and in another place shankara hints that there exists avidyA even
>in sushupti in sUtra bhAshya : iha tu vidyate viveka kAraNaM karma cha
>avidyA cha.

Yes, the analysis of suShupti is the key here.

Please refer to an earlier message of mine:

http://www.advaita-vedanta.org/archives/advaita-l/2006-November/017846.html

Anand

* *

<advaita-l%40lists.advaita-vedanta.org?Subject=Re%3A%20%5BAdvaita-l%5D%20Imagined%20Nature%20of%20Root%20Ignorance%20in%20Vivaranam&In-Reply-To=%3COF64B18FE6.73FD8CCF-ON65257A5C.0019B002-65257A5C.001CDAEF%40in.abb.com%3E>