[Advaita-l] Adi Sankara knew Earth is round and rotating

srirudra at vsnl.com srirudra at vsnl.com
Sat Jan 7 00:29:18 CST 2012

Dears
It is interesting to know that Sri Sankara has deduced that the shadow cone of the earth only causes darkness-night.So light is the nature of the universe.[In the Bible -Old Testament-it is said in the Genesis that  -there was darkness tobegin with and God began the creation by pronouncing -Let  there be Light -and light came to be].So darkness is nothing but light getting hidden by opaque objects.Usually we think that light has to be created to expel the darkness but it seems that it is the otherway about.Remove the obstruction/enveloper and the eternal light shines.Jnanam is like light.It is obstructed by avidhya/ahamkaram/karma/maya.By striving earnestly one can uplift oneself to become jnanavan.Just some thoughts to share with.R.Krishnamoorthy.