[Advaita-l] Is the concept of maya essential to explain advaita?

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 20:47:57 CST 2012

Namaste

I am showing that Maya is not supported by Adi Sankara below.  Adi
Sankara is not agreeing with Gaudapada regarding world and dream.
Gaudapada is saying objects in waking are like dream objects. But Adi
Sankara has disagreed in Sutra Bhashya. He is saying the objects in
waking are real but not imaginary objects like the dream objects.

Kindly see the Journal of Indian Philosophy June 1996  paper by Srinivasa Rao-

'It is universally agreed, at least among all the Advaitic writers,
that the empirical world is Mithya, a product of Maya and is also
Sadasadvilaksana, i.e. the world is basically different in nature from
the Sat-cit-ananda Brahma. This thesis is at best a post Sankarite
myth, because, as far as the basic nature of the world is concerned,
it is not different from that of Brahman according to Sankara. This
point will be argued mainly on the basis of the Sankara's
Brahmasutrabhasya, although it can also be heavily corroborated from
other major works of Sankara like his Bhasyas on the major Upanisads.'

Descendants of Sankara are basically saying this. Brahman is the base
for Maya. This Maya is the cause for the World. Maya is the material
cause. But Sankara Siddhanta is not saying this.

There is no place for Maya in Advaita but only use may be to confuse
others in arguments. It is not necessary for serious study of Advaita.

-Venkatesh