[Advaita-l] Holenarsipur Swamiji's remarks and why even Avidya is not necessary for Advaita

Kalyan K kalyankc.81 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 28 08:51:18 CST 2012

Dear Sri Subramanian,

>I think you will have to go through the recent exchanges consisting of a
>number of quotes from Shankara's bhashyam to understand the Advaita
>prakriya.

I went through all of them, and they show that from a logical standpoint,
the concept of maya is necessary. But they do not show in the least that a
sAdhaka of advaita needs to know about mAyA for getting moksha. If
knowledge of maya is necessary for moksha, then sruti would have said mAyA
vid Apnoti param.

>Put in simple terms: Advaita as taught by Shankara cannot be
>taught by anyone/practiced by anyone without the concepts of
>mAyA/avidya/ajnana/moha/mithyatva, etc. in place.

Let us not put mAyA and moha in the same basket now. They can be used in
very different senses. Also, let us define our terms properly. mithyatva
itself is used in multiple contexts. In the first usage, something is
called mithya because it is anitya. This usage of mithya is more or less
essential for sAdhaka (which is why you find this mentioned at many times
in the sruti and smriti) in order to differentiate between the Self and the
non-Self.

But the other usage of the word mithya is in the context of something being
sublated by knowledge of brahman, like the knowledge of rope sublating the
knowledge of the snake. This kind of mithyatva leads to multiple
definitions of reality (by the way, multiple realities originally was a
buddhistic concept, found in mUla-mAdhyamika kArIka of nAgArjuna). This
second definition of mithyatva is essential for explaining advaita from a
logical standpoint, but is not essential for a sAdhaka for moksha (which is
why you hardly find it mentioned *explicitly* in the sruti or smriti).

Regards
Kalyan