[Advaita-l] Is the idea of 'anAditva' logical?

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 02:00:48 CDT 2012

On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 11:48 AM, Venkata sriram P
<venkatasriramp at yahoo.in>wrote:

> Namaste Dear Subbuji,
>
> Pls correct me if i am wrong.
>
> To me, theory of evolution & cosmology seems to be inline with advaita
> siddhAnta of jagat mityAvAda.  Infact, the definition exactly matches.
>
> The universe is evolving since times immemorial.  Due to it's evolutionary
> process,
> it is subjected to change.  The phase of evolution which was yesterday is
> not today;
> which is today wouldn't be tomorrow; which would be tomorrow, won't be day
> after tomorrow.  This scenario of change is like a film reel which goes on
> changing.
>
> So, this theory of evolution is true as a part of vyAvahArika level.  Due
> to the emphemeral state of this universe, it is termed as mithyA.  However,
> all the scientific theories, evolutions, cosmological concepts, IMHO, can
> be fit into this vyAvahArika reality only which in my opinion are not
> contradictory to Sankara's observation.  Jagat at vyAvahArika level do
> exist.  However, in pAramArthika level, only the Brahman is the Substratum.
>
> Therefore, i see no contradiction between scientific theory of evolution,
> cosmology and advaita siddhAnta.
>
> Your comments are welcome.
>
> regs,
> sriram

Dear Sriram ji,

Actually in this discussion thread no objection was raised to the evolution
theory from the siddhAnta angle.  Only within the vyavahAra there are
questions of Veda, dharma, etc. involved.  It is on these aspects the
discussion is going on.  Whether there can be a 'vyavasthita vyavahAra' in
these matters if evolution theory is admitted into Religion is the moot
question.

Regards,
subrahmanian.v