[Advaita-l] mleccha-s not eligible to take Hinduism??

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 16 10:44:26 CDT 2012

> The whole of this discussion I am afraid is out of touch with the reality.
> Why do not we confine our selves to our main concern Advaita?

Yes, it is, in more ways than one. I am sorry I contributed to the current run.
I will end my participation on this thread with one parting comment.

This round started with one specific list-member about whom Jaldhar said it
would be better if he took up some other sAdhana and disregarded the fact
of an upanayana that had already happened with the sanction of a guru who
knew him personally. My only contention is that it is not the place of anybody
on this list to make this kind of suggestion. Yes, a few parking tickets are of
an entirely different order than theft, but how much confidence does one lay
on a policeman or a prosecutor or a judge who accumulates parking tickets?
And I am afraid, the vast majority of us on this list have more than a few
"parking tickets" that are going to go unpaid in this lifetime, if one wants to
be all that stringent, based on where we live, what we do for a living and
how strictly we observe brAhmaNa rules ourselves.

Of course, one can talk endlessly about adhikArin-s by birth not keeping up
with the duties imposed on them by their adhikAra. One can talk endlessly
about whether the doors need to be perpetually shut against or thrown wide
open to those who are born in a family without some recognized adhikAra.
My position is that the doors need be neither shut forever nor thrown wide
open indiscriminately. A door can be carefully opened a little bit, in order to
let in an exception or two. Once this is done by someone competent to take
such a decision, other prior residents who are not doorkeepers should not
throw out the new entrants. That is all.

Meanwhile, the gentleman whose personal instance sparked this round of
discussion is maintaining a dignified silence while many are holding forth
on generalities. Let me just conclude by saying that I admire his titikshA
on this matter on our list!

Best regards,
Vidyasankar