[Advaita-l] Pancha Kanya Questions

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 11 07:26:50 CDT 2012

> Namaste Sri Vidyasankar
>
> A request.
>
> Some artificial imaginary line has been drawn between Vedanta and
> Sacred Sexuality in this list. But there is no line like this in our
> scriptures. This is the effect of Britishers and Muslim invaders
> thinking on Indian minds. In Bruhadaranyaka Upanishad 6-4 many details
> of Sacred Sexuality are given. It is equal to Vajapeya Yaga. We
> should not be influenced by foreign thinking in this subject. We
> should not behave artificially.

The fact that the moderators of this list have not closed this thread should
show you that we do not draw any such artificial lines as you imagine. We
are much less influenced by foreign thinking than you suspect, although all
three moderators make their living in the United States.

That said, I would remind you of the word FOCUS that I used in my post
a week ago. In my opinion, there is a lopsidedness in display here. Bhaskar
was quite right in asking why a predominant majority of the topics that you
raise on this list pertain to sexual relations, whether within a marriage or
outside of it. The only other topic that generates interest is about food and
diet. Both personally and as a list moderator, I have an interest in the focus
of this list and that is what my earlier post was about.

Boundary lines may not exist in our scriptures, but there is nevetheless a
zone of transition and a question of relative emphasis. In the vast material
available in the bRhadAraNyaka Sruti, the sections on child bearing, spousal
relations etc constitute a small portion. The majority of the material in the
text is on Atma-vicAra. In the topics of discussion on this list, especially
when you start a thread, this proportion seems to get exactly reversed.

Why?

Finally, on this list, we have a good number of women as members too.
In a topic like this, having brought it up, aren't you the least bit curious to
find out what women think about it? A handful of men are dominating the
debate merrily and not even giving a little breathing space for some of our
women members to weigh in on the topic!

Vidyasankar