[Advaita-l] mleccha-s not eligible to take Hinduism??

S L Shivashankar slshivashankar at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 20:49:19 CDT 2012

Dear Lalitalalitah,
Pranams,

> > Apparently my guru thinks
> >

> Faith on a person. OK.
> But, how to check that he knows enough about shAstra-s and is pure enough
> to stand steadfast in truth ?
> Just one way, study yourself and check.

While studying and checking is certainly advisable, what´s wrong following
one´s gurus views on issues like this? After all, the guru is the link
between oneself and the shastras. The shastras are to be studied with the
help of the guru. One has to cultivate shradda towards the shastras and the
guru as the upholder and teacher of shastras.

And how to check whether the guru "knows enough about shAstra-s and is pure
enough to stand steadfast in truth"? I guess this is a problem we all have
to encounter, regardless of sampradaya or background. The inner qualities
mentioned in Bhagavadgita chapter XIII are qualities that should be present
in one´s guru.

> Knowing enough shAstra-s,
> including mImAMsA is the standard with qualities like truthfulness, lack of
> greed, etc.

Fine. I completely agree with you here.

> According to sha~Nkara and others the injunctions of shAstra-s are left
> away and opposed views are followed only when one is tainted with kAma,
> which expresses itself in many ways.

KAma certainly leads the judgement astray and hence distort the
interpretation of shastras, that´s true. But should we really make claims
that opinions different from our own are due to kAma, while our own
interpretations are free from such defects? There´s always an element of
preconceptions and views coloured by time and context, also when trying to
understand such things as dharma shastras. If not, why do traditional
pandits end up with different interpretations? Who to decide who´s
interpretation is a complete and fully objective reflection of what the
shastras really says? Of course, a kAma-free interpretation (as far as that
is possible) should be strived for.

> > Do you think that Dayananda would have got such an award if the Jagadguru
> > and the Sringeri Matha thought that Dayananda and his disciples where
> > heavily violating dharma?
>

> It is now a custom to ignore violations of shAstra-s by insiders of
> hinduism, because in a way or other they are helping hindu community,
> either by teaching world about us or by bringing money, etc.
> Checking violators is now a dangerous thing and in many ways impractical.
> It needs enough courage too.

Does this imply that you may consider the Sringeri Jagadguru and the
Sringeri Matha such "insiders" who "ignore violations of ShAstra-s"?

> Anyway, I don't want to hurt your feelings. Please keep going with respect
> for whatever you are doing. Take everything I said as impractical and
> academic.

No problems. I don´t feel hurt. Thank you for taking your time responding
to my postings.

Warmest regards
Shivashankar