[Advaita-l] Question for Rg-vedins

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 12:38:52 CDT 2012

On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 10:54 PM, Balasubramanian Ramakrishnan
<rama.balasubramanian at gmail.com> wrote:
> kR^iShna yajur vedins - if they don't undergo the full traditional study of
> vedas - are taught commonly used parts like rudram, some suktas, etc. Can
> someone post what important suktas are taught separately for prayoga such
> as pUjAs? Please also give the exact reference if possible, i.e, which
> maNDala it belongs to, etc.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Rama

In my opinion no Rg vedic mantras/sukta-s are taught to Yajur vedins
if they are not going to engage in paurohitya.  In case they are going
to do paurohitya, they will require 'pavamAna sUktam' which is an
important one for Rg vedins.  This is often done as a pArAyaNam. Also,
sometimes when the purohit goes to a Rg vedin's house for prayoga, the
PuruSha/srI/narayana suktams in Rg vedic format might be of use to
make the yajamana of the house feel more satisfied.

Regards
subrahmanian.v